Building Consultant – Division Manager
VERTEX has a strong background in investigating and analyzing claims for attorneys and insurance carriers on a variety of projects including multi-family residential, commercial, municipal, healthcare, transportation, wastewater treatment, and solar facilities. We differentiate ourselves because VERTEX is also a large construction contractor, and we maintain a database of subcontractor and vendor pricing, so we can record current market conditions.
The Vertex Companies, Inc. is looking for a skilled, driven, detailed-oriented manager and entrepreneurial professional who welcomes challenges. The candidate will enjoy the challenge of managing and operating the Building Consultant Group along with Executive Management Staff. This individual will provide direction and mentorship to junior staff while acting as the liaison between our in-house (engineers) and outside clients. More specific details are described below.
- Maintains SOPs and processes updated and ensure staff complies.
- Coordinates and participates in various meetings and events.
- Review all estimate related invoices and ensure compliance with contract documents and approved budgets.
- Performs reviews of other staff.
- Make employee safety a priority both in-house and on-site, in accordance with corporate policy.
- Conduct cost estimating and management of large loss and specialty projects.
- Review repair recommendations provided from expert reports detailing alleged construction and/or design deficiencies and proposed repair recommendations.
- Perform quality control checks for unit price accuracy, quantities, and scope of work.
- Work effectively within a team environment in a professional manner.
- Manage self and staff time to ensure deadlines are met.
- Communicate deliverable deadlines and responsibilities to team members and client, when needed.
- This position will also be expected to perform business development activities and attend conferences.
- This position assumes 55-65% billable.
- Some travel and/or field work (valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required).
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with co-workers, clients and subcontractors.
- Able to work and manage with minimal oversight but also open to direction and input from Executive Team.
- Able to meet deadlines, both internally and externally driven.
- Other project duties as assigned by senior staff.
- Sense of urgency.
- Positive attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Sciences, Architecture or Construction Management or General Contractor License preferred but not required.
- 15 plus years of work experience in a consultant or contractor setting preferably as an estimator, large loss consultant, or project manager.
- Work within the insurance industry preferred.
- Candidates should be familiar with interpreting construction drawings and understanding construction means and methods; performing cost estimating for repair of varying types of buildings.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must be able to perform complex tasks and handle multiple priorities and have the ability to provide quality, error free work product.
- Proficient in computer operations and standard software packages including Xactimate.
- Proficiency with project accounting and spreadsheet data.
- Working knowledge of scheduling software (P6, MS Project, etc.) a plus
- Effective communicator, verbal and written.
- Efficient, well-organized and positive attitude when approached with challenges and realities of construction management and consulting.
- OSHA-10 or -30 construction safety certification preferred.
- Walk job sites during inspections, sometimes on uneven terrain.
- Carry construction tools and equipment (up to 30 pounds) onto job sites with regularity.
- Working on roofs and other elevated areas.