The Vertex Companies, Inc. is looking for a skilled, driven, detailed-oriented and entrepreneurial professional who welcomes challenges. The candidate will enjoy the challenge of working on multiple projects with colleagues and senior staff, as well as gain valuable, real-world experience. More specific details are described below.
- Review and comprehend repair recommendations provided from expert reports detailing alleged construction and/or design deficiencies and proposed repair recommendations.
- Set up cost estimate spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
- Perform quantity takeoffs using electronic onscreen takeoff programs or by hand as necessary.
- Utilize pricing databases to determine unit costs for repair work.
- Perform quality control checks for unit price accuracy, quantities, scope of work and formulas within Microsoft Excel.
- Work effectively within a team environment and self-manage time to ensure deadlines are met.
- Communicate deliverable deadlines and responsibilities to team members and managers.
- Review and interpret building codes as it applies to repair scope and pricing.
- Manage and update project files daily to ensure file data is secure and organized.
- Perform periodic site inspections of projects to photograph and document as-built conditions.
- Provide real time feedback on status and estimated completion of estimating activities.
- Assist with preparation of report narratives detailing cost estimating strategies and analysis of cost estimates.
- Make employee safety a priority both in-house and on-site, in accordance with corporate policy.
- Represent VERTEX to clients in a professional manner.
- Some travel and/or field work (valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required).
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with co-workers, clients and subcontractors.
- Able to work with minimal oversight but take direction effectively from managers.
- Able to meet deadlines, both internally and externally driven.
- Other project duties as assigned by senior staff.
- Sense of urgency.
- Positive attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Sciences, Architecture or Construction Management preferred.
- One to three years of work experience in a consultant or contractor setting preferably as an estimator or project manager.
- Interpreting construction drawings and understanding construction means and methods; performing cost estimating for repair of varying types of buildings.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must be able to perform complex tasks and handle multiple priorities and have the ability to provide quality, error free work product.
- Proficient in computer operations and standard software packages.
- Proficiency with project accounting and spreadsheet data.
- Working knowledge of scheduling software (P6, MS Project, etc.) a plus
- Effective communicator, verbal and written.
- Efficient, well-organized and positive attitude when approached with challenges and realities of construction management and consulting.
- OSHA-10 or -30 construction safety certification preferred.
- Walk job sites during inspections, sometimes on uneven terrain.
- Carry construction tools and equipment (up to 30 pounds) onto job sites with regularity.