The Vertex Companies, Inc. is looking for a Forensic Mechanical Engineer or Sr. Forensic Mechanical Engineer. The Forensic Mechanical Engineer or Sr. Forensic Mechanical Engineer we are looking for will be a Licensed Professional Engineer, responsible for overseeing a wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to forensic investigations and written reports for residential and commercial property damage claims, professional liability claims, and construction defect claims. The position location is flexible, ideally the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will be based out of one of our following locations: Weymouth or Boston, MA, Stamford, CT, Chicago, IL, or Long Island City, NY.
More specific details are described below.
Provide investigation and review for multiple projects; provide detailed investigative reports and findings to insurance companies and law firms. Client satisfaction is essential.
- Investigates the cause and origin of failures, damages or defects in the mechanical fields within industrial, residential, and commercial sites.
- Participates in the catastrophe response events as needed.
- Prepares accurate, clear, thorough, and concise reports and letters outlining the cause and origin of the damages to clients. Follows established policies, procedures, and processes in preparing information, exercising sound judgment in applying these to potentially unusual or complicated situations, and submit reports and documents in a timely manner and in accordance with client’s standards and expectations.
- Interacts with clients on a regular basis, including marketing of services when not directly working on a job.
- Provides expert testimony in a court of law if required.
- Stays well-informed of industry related topics and participates in ongoing training and development as assigned or approved to assure knowledge and skills remain current and comprehensive.
- Functions as an effective member of the team, assisting co-workers as needed and learning from colleagues and supervisors; supports the goals of the organization; participates in special assignments and activities as required or approved; demonstrates initiative in the interest of the client and the organization.
- Provides storm damage support to commercial and residential structures for our Building & Structure division.
- Travel as needed to perform inspections. Reliable transportation is required.
- Be familiar with applicable company policies and procedures (including technical and safety training requirements industrial, residential, and commercial sites.
- Have full understanding of engineering state board requirements for applicable state(s).
- Developing proposed budgets for PM’s/Account Managers review.
- Understand/work within project budgets and deadlines.
- Participate in business development by documenting new clients and communicating with business development staff as directed.
- Work primarily with both personal and commercial line property claims.
- Review incoming assignments to develop protocol for site inspection.
- Work with additional staff members as required/appropriate for this function.
- Review site information (photos) to from Assistant Project Manager in the field to confirm protocols.
- Develop report narrative with appropriate photos and applicable documents.
- Review of site photos and documents with Assistant Project Manager to develop report narrative as appropriate.
- Develop CAD sketch(s) as required for deliverables.
- Research of code and industry specifications related to assignment.
- Review report narrative as appropriate.
- Develop area of study (proficiency) by attending advanced training and present topic(s) to forensic team.
- Background Check
- Confirmation of address history
- Criminal history
- Employement Verification
- Education Verification
- Baccalaureate degree in Engineering, or demonstration of equivalent knowledge and critical thinking skills.
- 5+ years’ experience.
- Experience working with law firms and insurance companies is preferred.
- Experience with residential, commercial, and industrial facilities including piping and HVAC units is desired.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is required.
- Able to carry and operate a 24-foot extension ladder unassisted.
- Able to walk on sloped roofs.
- Able to work in small spaces (attics, crawl spaces).
- Able to travel.